Hikes and discoveries of the Ardèche
Raw and beautiful in a remarkable unspoiled diversity, on a protected land with eco-responsible values.
There are hikes that offer views of the white limestone cliffs to the dark and golden schist stones. Hikes to discover tranquil swimming spots and famous natural diving boards. Take a nap along the river, climb or boost your adrenaline by canyoning. Or have a calm evening at the campsite and enjoy the gourmet pleasures of local restaurants, markets, concerts, exhibits…
At the heart of the Monts d’Ardèche Natural Geopark, rich in history and diversity, sheltered from that of the Cévennes park, very close to landmarked and protected sites, the location of La Châtaigneraie is the starting point for choosing your day’s activities and the varied colors of your stay.
Here we offer you some of our favorites suggestions.
We are always available on site during your stay to advise you and guide you according to your wishes.
Activities and visits, our selection from the campsite
- Swimming in the river, 10 mn on foot for the start of the exploration. 4 natural pools nearby and easily accessible on foot or by bike.
- The discovery of the associative mini-farm “l’Attrape rêve” (300 m). Come meet Rosette, the mother pig who loves visits. There are also chickens, donkeys, goats…
- An accompanied horseback ride with the Foussac horse farm (1 km)
- A paragliding flight for a view from the sky of the reliefs and the campsite located 200 m from the landing area.
- Canoeing, climbing, caving, and canyoning are possible at 5 to 30 km from the campsite.
Our hikes from the campsite
- The Batistou virade: a family walk on the heights of Gravières, enjoy the landscape and approach the local traditions of yesterday and today. 6 km trail – 280 m drop, with some climbing and stairs. 3h30. Guided walk during the summer season.
- Vanséene ride. By bike, from the campsite, reach the village of Les Vans via the river and the plain of Marvignes. 7 km loop – 1 hour.
- Les Eynes: geological and panoramic hike from Gravières to Salelles, from sandstone country to shale rocks. River crossings. Loop of 12 km – 4h30 – 491 m heigt difference.
- Ascent to the summit of the Serre de Barre by mountain bike via the tracks. Loop of 30 km – 900 m of altitude difference
To prepare your stay, do not hesitate to consult the many routes available on rando.cevennes-ardeche.com
Classified and protected natural sites
- The wood of Païolive: is an ancient forest which extends over 16 km² to the south of the village of Les Vans. It has a high heritage value due to its great wealth in terms of biodiversity as well as the limestone landscapes crossed by the Chassezac gorges.
- The caves:
- La Cocalière,
- The Aven d’orgnac,
- The Chauvet Cave 2…
- The Tanargue massif: located on the watershed line between the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean, its panoramic peaks mark the passage between the Ardèche mountains and the Cévennes d’Ardèche.
- The Ardèche valley: from Pont du Diable to Vallon Pont d’Arc. From basaltic organs to the gorges of the Ardèche. A remarkable geological route and a way to discover villages of character.
- Villages of Character: Banne, Naves, Thines, Joyeuse, Les Vans, local villages with exceptional architectural heritage. Cobblestone streets and commanding viewpoints to discover at your own pace.
- Local flavors and products:
- In the immediate vicinity of the campsite and in the markets, you can discover many local producers of cheeses, wines, honeys and charcuterie.
- We will be able to advise you on good local restaurants who use quality Ardèche products.
- The markets: Southern, numerous and colorful with fresh and local products. Every saturday morning at Les Vans, and every other day of the week in the surrounding area. During the summer season there are also evening markets.
- Le Viel Audon: Since 1970, individuals have spend time rebuilding the ruined hamlet of Le Viel Audon. They have collectively created this project built on the optimization of cooperation and local resources. To discover near Balazuc (25 km).
- Agroecology and the gardens of Terre & Humanisme: Association initiated by Pierre Rahbi which multiplies actions in favor of agroecology. Visit to the gardens at Mas de Beaulieu in Lablachère (15 km).
- « Excellent campsite, great welcome, we will return with pleasure. The kids loved it, and there are plenty of things to do around it. The campsite staff very pleasant and anxious to guide us as well as possible. »
- « Campsite aptly named, lots of chestnut trees. A peaceful place with beautiful well-shaded pitches, rentals… a small corner with games for children, a toilet block. Nice welcome. Really very clean. You can go swimming in the river five minutes walk from the campsite, trails for walking, mountain biking, canoeing, paragliding… have a nice holiday! »